The CHINOOK 200 Wind Turbine is here!*
If you have modest power requirements, good average wind
speeds and are looking for a small wind generator to help keep your
batteries full (especially in the cold, dark days of winter),
consider the Chinook turbine. Its maximum output is 250W and it’s
rated at 200W, at either 12V or 24V output. It is made and tested in
one of Montana’s windiest location (near Great Falls). At an average
wind speed of 12 mph you will get about 40 kilowatt-hours per month
(depending on your elevation and constancy of wind).
- Rotor diameter is one meter (39”)
- Rated wind velocity is 28 mph
- cut-in rpm 350.
At 14 lbs. it is easy
to mount on any 1.5” (48.4mm) schedule 40 steel pipe (commonly
available in most hardware or plumbing stores) and it carries a
three year limited manufacturer’s warranty. Other features include:
- Only two moving parts and sealed for life bearings
- Proprietary 3-phase axial PMA utilizing neodymium iron
- Suitable for domestic or marine applications
- Quiet operation with low TSR motor
- Excellent performance at low wind speeds
- Injection molded blades
- Lightweight but heavy duty
- Microcontroller based control system
- ‘Plug & Play’ charge controller with built-in dump load
- Ideal for supplementing solar electric power systems!
- Quality USA made $675 plus freight
The DL300 Series controller is designed to prevent your batteries
from overcharging; it’s compact and easy to install, and
incorporates a 300W resistor/heater and controller in a stout 18
gauge powder-coated steel enclosure.
If you have been considering the addition of wind to your PV
system—or you are planning to add a wind generator to your sail-boat
or catamaran, now is the time to try a Chinook! The turbine and
controller is $675 plus freight. We have specs and a copy
of the manual we can e-mail, if you want more information!
*Unfortunately, the manufacturer of Chinook
is restructuring, and these tough little wind generators will not be
available until June of 2013.